Birmingham Grand Kotei 2019 - AAR






Just for posterity, and to cover the fact that my memory is as truly appalling as it appears, I thought I would do a brief write up of my matches during the Birmingham Grand Kotei.

Deck - I have four current decks I play with ('Esoteric Capability' - Lion Splash aggressive, Sardonic Rejoinder - a KD test deck, 'A Matter of Consequence' - Courtier Hand Control and this one which is my 'Mitigating Circumstances' deck which is a fairly standard Crane deck with Dragon splash that derives (as a lot of people's decks do) from the Shoguns Paris Deck. Imperial Advisor have slapped it up so it can be found here

Since Stewie was put on the restricted list I took the somewhat unusual decision to use Feast or Famine instead.

Friday - A Nasty drive in what with the M6 still running 50 mile an hour average speed check cameras and the fact it was rush hour on a work day made this is somewhat strenuous trip. I also left early to ensure I had plenty of time (around 6:30 ish) but somewhat typically had gained bugger all sleep the night before. Showing great map reading skills I managed to make my way to the wrong gaming hall post collecting tickets and sat there drinking a latte (I get these from the Cornish Bakery on site which tends to be less busy than some of the other more obvious vending places) and munching a chocolate twist thing. My Expo hints include this and using the walking escalators to shift to the next building along where there is no convention and thus no queues for the toilets (yuk, I hate toilets where you queue and have to go in immediately after someone has, erm, just finished) and a Starbucks where you can get served in two minutes.

Getting more concerned that I did not seem to recognise anyone and that the people running the Kotei hadn't appeared to arrive did indeed cause me to ask someone then curse and move to the correct hall where  as if by magic was people I did know and all the organisers were there.

Game One - Happily due to some mischance (I suspect being 'early' in the Alphabet) put me on the top tables and convinced I would not last there resolved to enjoy it while I could. My first opponent was Oskar Bladh a Unicorn player with the popular HMT KOW deck.

I did not lose control through the game and with an early Kakita Ryoku out managed to build up a stronger and stronger line of Honoured characters. This Unicorn deck is the popular 'buy swarms' cheapish or with no fate - so as long as I survive the first two turns I tend to beat it.

It was also a lesson to watch as first turn I was second player and my oppo bought a Negumi with no fate. I then took Toshimoko with three fate and at this point my oppo says actually I will add a fate to Negumi. I let him but did say he really shouldn't.

MVP Kakita Ryoku
1-0


Game Two - Still on the top tables I munched down half a sandwich and took some water in before facing Finbarr Begley who was a Dragon out of MA, KOW. Since everyone still had a chance everyone still seemed happy. I seemed less happy when on the second turn he purchased a Raisetsu with no less than five extra fate and proceeded to dump two Fine Katana's a finger of Jade and (if I remember right) a spyglass on him. Nice. To quote the Duke of Wellington in 'Waterloo' - 'this will require careful timing'.

He attacked and face planted into Shameful. Helpful - if he had not had the finger of Jade in play. I defended with a zero fate Whisperer. First turn I played For Shame. He though about it and popped the finger of Jade. I suspect the internal monologue here was 'second potentially in hand and I have the kill'. He then duelled and killed the Whisperer. I then dropped an Ancient Master and fired the Shameful Display. He wins the conflict and breaks the province. I then attack water to get a fate and apologise profusely before Noble Sacrificing the Ancient Master to kill the Tower. I then get to watch the life and enjoyment drain out of a player's face.

He made a fight of the rest of the game but losing that much to one card was too much to get over and I rolled to victory fairly easily after that.

MVP Noble Sacrifice and Ancient Master with Whisperer
2-0

Lunch and I kept my energy levels up by knocking back yet more sandwiches, crisps and drink (you need it in big competitions, plus if you rely on sweet stuff then your energy levels will suddenly drop like a rock) so go for the continuous nibbling!

Game Three - Things were going swimmingly so far but my next opponents was Simon Dowrick a Phoenix KI SOV. Unfortunately for me there are no less than three clans I dislike playing. In order of 'hatred' they are Crab (I cannot beat them with the deck unless reaaaaaaly lucky), Phoenix and Scorpion. So I was less than delighted with a Phoenix opponent. As it stood I need not have worried. He had the two most God awful Dynasty flips in succession mid-game when he flipped three holdings and a low cost peep. The first time he used the money saved to fire consumed by five fires  and cleared my board. But the turn after he repeated the challenging feat of again showing three holdings and one low cost peep  and since I had blown up two along with their provinces that round it was quite an achievement - and promptly went under.

MVP - Opponents dynasty flip
3-0

Having run out of purchased food I now re-latte'd up and had a croissant as well. Sugar and coffee. I would regret this later that night but I did need the energy boost in the afternoon. At work 2pm is famed as 'Joss's sleepy time' as I tend to get qwertitus headbutting the keyboard. Or look like I am slowly nodding my head in time to really slow music.


Game Four - A Crane opponent! hurrah! I like Crane opponents because I know exactly what they are doing. Unfortunately this Crane also happened to be the Shogun Erik Baalhuis running ST and SOV. This went in a typical fashion when after a brief jostling for the honoured characters lead he won then proceeded to cancel all my actions that could have got me back in the game.

LVP -Facing the Shogun
3-1


Game Five - I just managed to keep on the top table and avoid sinking to the emotional sink drain of the middle table where everyone is sad for not making the cut or really angry, for not making the cut or being about to not make the cut. It's better to be top or bottom with no chance. My opponent here was William Woodget a Unicorn running the apparently standard HMT and KOW.

I have played William before up in Sheffield where I remember him as an actual Unicorn loyalist who played them when they were sh*t. As opposed to all these other band wagon jumpers. The game went well though. I vaguely recollect an early Challenger allowed me to keep pulling his best military dudes into political conflicts preventing counter breaks while I merrily cancelled all the Charges and Cavalry Reserves.

MVP Doji Challenger
4-1



Game Six  I actually had a chance to get through! I did expect to spend another hour playing then face plant into a loss and an irritated wife (who had the kids with her at work so would be very annoyed I was picking them up so late). My opponent was a discord leaguer  Sam Cox (who goes by the name VoidPirateSam on discord). Another Unicorn HMT KOW

The Unicorn speed force was strong in this deck and I was down three provinces by the end of turn two but did have a strong board at this point and my oppo had used a huge amount of cards to get those breaks. I slowly worked my way back in and won. Considering I had just prevented him from getting through to day two Sam was unbelievably cheerful and good natured about the loss. I would hope I could be more Sam if in the same situation. I suspect I would look like I was President of Suck at the World's largest Lemon stand.

MVP Defence
5-1

So I ended up in 6th place due to strength of schedule - thanks to all my opponents (especially Oskar) who won out here. Naturally I missed Hatamoto because the Shogun was sitting two places higher than me in the rankings. Alternately God wanted to punish any Crane player not called Erik and as Darren had switched to Crab I and confused him, I was next in line.

Saturday - Due to the horrific amount of caffeine and sugar I had imbibed I had no chance of decent sleep so whiled the time away dreaming of cards, cards, cards in between being really wide awake.

On the drive in I did have to consider what I wanted to do. I had a high placing and it would be unlikely that I would get a higher place. I also did not want to be the kind of player who plays to spoil other people's chances. Every win I gained (especially early on) would damage another players chances . So I resolved to play a couple of games and IF I won them concede. I could then wander around the convention before getting home early (gaining brownie points for picking the kids up early) and then chill out in the sunshine at home.

Game One - This was against the Crane Hatamoto Alain Laugier ST SOV. This was a fast game and in a mirror image of yesterdays I gained the honoured peeps lead and proceeded to fly to victory. Crane mirrors often go this way though as I had told him in advance of my intention (mainly to reduce game pressure) we were both playing fairly fast and loose. I then conceded (Alain went on to re-gain Hatamoto status that day so it did something for favor points or something)

MVP - Voice of Honour
0-1 or 1-0 ?

Game Two - vs Dirk Kube a Unicorn HMT KOW.  No need to concede here as he drew the exact cards he needed to do a standard Unicorn stomp in two turns. The killer was two send homes to prevent Toshimoko ruining his day when he attacked my Stronghold.

LVP - Speed Unicorn
0-2 or 1-1?

So home early I went and did indeed enjoy the Sun



Sunday - After another horrible nights sleep I arrived back nice and early fully expecting to get wiped out first round. I knew I probably had another Unicorn player so had a better chance perhaps than otherwise.

It is a strange experience being in the top cut at a major Kotei. You are quite disconnected from everyone else who operate to a different timing system and everyone around you is (usually) so cheerful. When they are no longer cheerful they have lost and left.

Before we started we had to pick the story choice. I decided to send the inquisitor type people out of Phoenix lands as I thought it would be more amusing embarrassing Shihei but was out voted ( by 1 vote I think) so the end result was for them to keep Phoenix lands safe.

Top 32 - I did indeed have a Unicorn opponent and faced Marcus Archer HMT KMT

This was another brutal first two turns with me again exposed on the Stronghold after turn two but again my board was now so much stronger along with cards. A win. Apologies as I cannot remember much else.

MVP - Crane cards?
Still In

I made my target of top 16! I expected to go now but seriously did not care.

Top 16 - This was against a Phoenix player who had had a bye Vasilis Kirlis  KI KOA. He helped immensely by having another crap early dynasty flip. He used the SH around three times to replay path of man in (several) desperate attempts to get something above two costs into his provinces and eventually got a Fushcito thing. At this point he used Satoshi and it drew his entire deck to get an Imperial card (last card). This dropped his honor to 3. On defence I then used my two Kakita Dojo's to fire duels where I bid 1 (and he 2 to stop bowing) dropping his honor to one. Next turn I sent everyone in a huge air attack against Manicured Garden and dishonoured him out.

MVP - Kakita Dojo and great cutting
Still In

It was a little weird being top 8. But wonderful at the same time. Since our time was running to a different schedule to everyone else's we rolled into top 8 before lunch. It was also amusing looking at the player list as everyone, apart from little old me, was a Hatamoto at this point.

Quarter-Finals  - Another Phoenix. This time  Jose Luis Saenz KI KOA.

I don't remember a huge amount about the game except that I had Yoshi out early honoured and he proceeded to draw me so many cards I had trouble holding them. No deck can cope with that much card draw and I was able to work through to a Stronghold break and win.

MVP - Kakita Yoshi
Still In

Bizarrely I was in the semi-finals. One win and the finals.  I asked about lunch and was told I had half an hour so left to go to quiet Starbucks where you can get served in two minutes. I had some coffee and a slice of banana bread then rolled back only to discover everyone was waiting as apparently they had decided against a break. (this might have happened the previous round)

Semi-Finals - Against the Shogun! Again!! This was a much closer match than the first with some distinctly weird events. Neither of our first turn flips was outstanding so I had a Yoshi with 2 fate and Erik had a Guest with two. Neither of us attacked at all this round with my rational being that I win the favor and have Yoshi so 'advantage' and if I attack and hit SD or Erik had any number of defensive cards that I could not block due to Guest then I could potentially be Noble Sacrificed or even lose. This might have been a mistake on my part but it was a very unusual occurrence with this deck. After that there was a tussle for the favor and I thought I had managed to pull things back when I Noble Sacrificed the standing Guest of Honor. My biggest difficulty was turn two Erik had flipped the Imperial Palace on Pilgrimage and since I did not want to walk into SD or MS I kept on attacking in and failing. Perhaps this was the killer mistake.

I remember dropping two Young Harriers to win one combat then at the end of the turn he dropped an Ancient Master to beat my favour count by 1 (the Imperial Palace was still out). I then dropped an ancient master to best him by 1. He dropped a Young Harrier so I dropped another Young Harrier then finally he dropped Fumiki to win the favor. This weird conflict character playoff helped seal the game as a censure next turn stopped me honouring and essentially allowed Erik to gain the infamous Honoured peeps lead and beat me.

LVP - Eight gazillion conflict characters and Imperial Palace on Pilgrimage

So I was finally out but I made top four and gained a free ticket to the Worlds (admittedly flights and hotel will cost a lot more than the ticket). I also had a wonderful time against some excellent opponents. I also don't think I stood much of a chance against David Hoyland the eventually Crab winner. Instead as I was still 'inside' the top cut area I updated the discord league with a play by play of the final (as there was no stream). -  plus see my blog report on that game here

Thanks to all who I played against and the many great players I talked to and met. Plus as ever the organisers and Judges who do a magnificent job of making things run smoothly. Thanks for reading.

For those who want more stats the Lotus Pavilion is Friday here, Saturday here and Sunday here and the Imperial Advisor run down is here






Comments

Popular Posts